Crossing the Albemarle Sound and Alligator River – Dec 17th

We had listened to the experts and followed the instructions, and prepared the boat properly to cross Albemarle Sound.  We were ready!  The winds were right, the wave heights were in the proper range so we were going for it!

We sailed about half of the way across the sound but kept jibing, the wind was on our back, so we finally raised the old “iron sail” and started making some head way.  We were dissapointed, we had heard the sailing could be fantastic on the Sound, but it was not meant to be this day.  In addition the navigation into the entrance of Alligator River is so very precise we needed a little more control of the helm.

There was so much to see on the sound as well.  We are in the heart of military country down here and the planes and their maneuvers and different buildings all are so fascinating, especially to an eleven year old!

The crossing went fairly quickly also, it was not rough, we prepared well, and waited for the right weather.  It went very smooth!

As we approached Alligator River Highway Bridge we hailed the Bridge tender and he invited us to “Come on up close and Ill open when you get here” well, we think he does this to play with sailboaters.  We were pretty close before he opened that swing bridge!  But, true to form for all of these tenders, he knew exactly what he was doing and timed it perfectly!  We were now committed to another canal rather than crossing Pamlico Sound.  The weather forecasts were treacherous for the Pamlico Sound for the next week (which has proven itself) so back into another ditch!  Thank goodness we have choices!

Alligator River is LONG though! It just kept going and going and going!  But the great part of this River was it was some kind of military flyzone, the F-14’s gave us our own prviate airshow, complete with loops and rolls and chases!  Great entertainmentt for all of us, but quite distracting for the helmswoman!  I had to keep maneuvering back to the channel.

Finally we were at our marker to make our turn into Pungo River Canal.  This was at about 4:15.  I was a little nervous because we knew sunset was coming and we wanted to be anchored before then but had a ways to go before reaching Tuckahoe Point.   We kept steaming ahead, and sure enough, we got to Tuckahoe Point, dropped and set the anchor in 10 feet of water just as the sun was going down! It was perfect! Not another soul in sight, no buildings, just marsh as far as the eye could see.  No highway noises, no lights, just a pure star show for us that evening.  This is the kind of anchorage you imagine when you think of getting away from it all.

Well we were all in heaven until Mariah says, ” I think we are out of water” Holy Cow! we could not even believe it! It definitely dampened our spirits for a few minutes.  How did we use 105 gallons of water that quickly???

Thank goodness we had enought bottled water to get us through the night.  We knew the next days destination was a marina and we could fill up our tanks. 

We made our dinner, Mariah did not have to do dishes due to the water shortage(YAY) so we all went to bed early. 

The other thing about this anchorage was the absolute remoteness of it.  We had no cell service, no wifi even!  we were defintely in the middle of no where! Michael did his nightly engine maintenance and we stowed everything for tomorrow’s trip.  We would be getting up early to leave so we try to prepare as much as we can prior to going to sleep.

We all had a great night’s sleep in preparation for entering the canal the next morning.

Comments are closed.